Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm glad I don't have ADD

Since I work in Pharmacy, I've known this for a while but figured I'd share the story with everyone.  Simply put, there is a shortage of ADD/ADHD medications, namely Adderall and Ritalin, nationwide.  Expanding a bit, there is a certain quota the DEA allows for medications every year, and this has been surpassed for these medications.  No surprise once you find out that Adderall alone was prescribed 18 million times last year, up 13% from 2010.  Along with other amphetamine combinations, doctors wrote for a whopping 51.5 million prescriptions.  I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk this up to people getting the medication who don't really need it.  For example, if you need it to "study" for a test, you probably don't it.  Grab a Red Bull instead and let the people with ADHD get the medication they need.  It's a new year, so hopefully production of these drugs can continue soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment