Saturday, February 25, 2012

Team Kevin

I was going to post about this earlier in the week when it started, but it took off ridiculously fast and I didn't even have a chance; that's the power of the internet now.  But anyway, as I'm sure most of you have heard, Taylor Swift offered 18 year old Kevin McGuire, who is battling leukemia for the second time, a date to the ACM Awards.  This was the result of an internet campaign that started on Facebook, where Kevin's sister gathered support for Taylor Swift to take him to prom.  The campaign took off (100,000+ members) and quickly spread to Twitter, where celebrities and athletes spread the message.  The news went from local to national, until Swift herself responded:
"Kevin, I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it to your prom. But I was wondering, the ACM Awards are coming up.. Would you be my date? Love, Taylor"
Kevin is actually in my brother's class, and attends Sterling High School (my former high school) so I can actually relate to this on a personal level.  Kevin battled through leukemia before, and I have no doubt he'll do it again... meeting Taylor Swift certainly couldn't hurt. It's certainly reassuring to see celebrities be down to earth instead of holier than thou, and hopefully this will be something to remember for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment