Sunday, April 17, 2011

BASEketball

The origins of my BASEketball website go way back to a class I had in high school in 2002/2003, Internet Web Design (I think).  One of the projects in the class was to make an informative "web page" on an interest we had... I had just seen BASEketball for the first time and loved it.  I decided to make my project based on BASEketball, and shortly after decided to make it into a real website.  I didn't have money for webspace, so I signed up for one of those free hosts.  I landed at 1colony, and created my site from one of the 4 or so templates.  It's actually still standing at http://www.baseketball.1colony.com/ if you wanna check it out, but beware of pop-ups!!! (That site is actually the third Google result for "BASEketball" believe it or not.)

Eventually the site ate up enough bandwitdth (1colony shut me down for a bit) and attracted enough attention (probably due to the lack of any competition) to become affiliated with other websites for Matt Stone and Trey Parker.  These sites included the official Cannibal! The Musical site, CrapTV, and the now-defunct South Park Alliance.  Ray from SPA gave me some server space on his server, and the site was reborn albeit the same shitty template.  Once on the SPA server, I was able to offer much more to my fans, including audio clips, songs, more photos, and videos.

Around the same time, Mattt Potter (yes, his name is spelled with three Ts) from CrapTV (personal friends with Matt and Trey), notified me that an Actor's Cut of BASEketball was potentially in the works.  (I'll have an audio clip to prove this sometime soon.)  I couldn't break the news just yet, but was excited nonetheless.  There were even talks to make my site official, since the previous one had long been gone from the interent.  Unfortunately, after asking Matt Stone himself in a South Park Studios live chat, it appeared as if the Actor's Cut wouldn't see the light of day.  (Transcript of the chat up soon.) The site continued after that, but without much news it wasn't too much of a priority.  I updated a handful of times a year, basically whenever I thought about it again.  Eventually, Ray's site became inactive sometime in 2007 (I think), and so too did my server space.  http://www.baseketball.spalliance.net/ was dead; having last been updated on August 19, 2006.

Since demand wasn't very high for my site, I never really made an effort to find a new home for it.  The old 1colony site was still around, and I still had all the files for the site on my hard drive.  Every so often I'd have talks with Ray and some of the other CrapTV guys about getting the site back online, but nothing ever came of it.  I was in college from 2006-2010, so honestly a BASEketball website wasn't a top priority for me.  However, it was never forgotten...

... Which brings me to today.  Recently, on Facebook, I had been posting various links, pictures, videos, etc on my wall.  I felt it would be better suited in a blog format, and definitely had an interest in starting one.  I finally started this blog last Thursday (the 14th).  What's this have to do with BASEketball?  Well, when figuring out what to put on my blog, I remembered I had an entire website sitting on my hard drive.  I was going to cram it all on one page of my blog, but figured it was easier just to make a new blog exclusively for the site.  And I did just that; I give to you the newly relaunched Unofficial Official BASEketball site!

CLICK HERE!!!

The site can also be accessed by clicking on the "BASEketball" tab on this blog, and following the link.  The site isn't 100% yet, but very functional.  Head over there to see what I updated, and stay tuned for more updates.

Oh, and if you don't already own the DVD, buy it now.  You don't even have to get off your ass, just click below.

No comments:

Post a Comment